World crude steel production for the 64 countries reporting to the World Steel Association (worldsteel) was 149.3 million tonnes (Mt) in July 2022, a 6.5% decrease compared to July 2021.
Production (Mt)Growth (% y-on-y)Crude steel productionWorldROWChinaWorld (%)ROW (%)China (%)Feb-21April-21Jun-21Aug-21Oct-21Dec-21Feb-22Apr-22Jun-22050100150200-80-4004080worldsteel.org
Crude steel production by region
Africa produced 1.2 Mt in July 2022, down 5.4% on July 2021. Asia and Oceania produced 110.1 Mt, down 5.2%. The EU (27) produced 11.7 Mt, down 6.7%. Europe, Other produced 3.5 Mt, down 16.5%. The Middle East produced 3.2 Mt, up 24.2%. North America produced 9.6 Mt, down 5.4%. Russia & other CIS + Ukraine produced 6.4 Mt, down 29.1%. South America produced 3.6 Mt, down 7.8%.
|Table 1. Crude steel production by region|
|Jul 2022 (Mt)||% change Jul 22/21||Jan-Jul
|% change Jan-Jul 22/21|
|Asia and Oceania||110.1||-5.2||812.6||-4.8|
|Russia & other CIS + Ukraine||6.4||-29.1||50.5||-18.8|
|Total 64 countries||149.3||-6.5||1,102.3||-5.4|
The 64 countries included in this table accounted for approximately 98% of total world crude steel production in 2021. Regions and countries covered by the table:
- Africa: Egypt, Libya, South Africa
- Asia and Oceania: Australia, China, India, Japan, New Zealand, Pakistan, South Korea, Taiwan (China), Vietnam
- European Union (27)
- Europe, Other: Bosnia-Herzegovina, Macedonia, Norway, Serbia, Turkey, United Kingdom
- Middle East: Iran, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates
- North America: Canada, Cuba, El Salvador, Guatemala, Mexico, United States
- Russia & other CIS + Ukraine: Belarus, Kazakhstan, Moldova, Russia, Ukraine, Uzbekistan
- South America: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Paraguay, Peru, Uruguay, Venezuela
Top 10 steel-producing countries
China produced 81.4 Mt in July 2022, down 6.4% on July 2021. India produced 10.1 Mt, up 3.2%. Japan produced 7.3 Mt, down 8.5%. The United States produced 7.0 Mt, down 6.4%. Russia is estimated to have produced 5.5 Mt, down 13.2%. South Korea produced 6.1 Mt, down 0.6%. Germany produced 3.0 Mt, down 2.0%. Turkey produced 2.7 Mt, down 20.7%. Brazil produced 2.8 Mt, down 8.7%. Iran produced 2.0 Mt, up 34.1%.
|Table 2. Top 10 steel-producing countries|
|Jul 2022 (Mt)||% change Jul 22/21||Jan-Jul 2022 (Mt)||% change Jan-Jul 22/21|
e – estimated. Ranking of top 10 producing countries is based on year-to-date aggregate